Use of Personal Vehicles for Business

Employees who use personal vehicles for University business should be aware that their own auto liability insurance policies must provide primary coverage for injuries or property damage to third parties resulting from any accident while on University business. The University recommends that all employees using personal vehicles for business carry auto liability insurance with minimal limits for property damage of $50,000 per person and $100,000 per accident.

The University's Automobile Liability Self-Insurance Program provides excess coverage. In the event of an accident, coverage will be applied as follows:

  • The employee's collision coverage, if any, must pay for any damage to the employee's own car.
  • The employee's department may reimburse the employee the amount of the employee's physical damage deductible, up to $500 or the amount of the actual repair (whichever is less), as a travel expense.