Updated On April 4, 2017 - 11:36am

Vehicle Flood Information

The following is informatioln to assist you with processing your insurance claims in an expedient manner:

What do I do next?

  • Transportation Services will initiate contact regarding your vehicle, but if you need additional information you can also contact parking services: 310-206-3884
  • We recommend that if you have Automobile Physical Damage coverage for your vehicle, that you contact your insurance company to expedite the claims process as you may have rental car coverage and a claims payout will be quicker

 What do I do if my insurance doesn’t cover the damages or I do not have coverage?

  • DWP has made claims forms available to seek reimbursement for expenses through the DWP.  The DWP has arranged for Material Damage Appraisals to be on site for the vehicles that were affected in the flood.  They will be available to assist in the claims process by completing appraisals.
  •  If you do not have Automobile Physical Damage coverage, a claim can be filed with the DWP using the following link:  http://bit.ly/1kn1ZMz
  • Mail these forms to:

                    Department of Water and Power
                   Attn: Claims Section
                   P.O. Box 51111, Room 342
                   Los Angeles, CA 90051-0100

  • Remember to keep copies of all documents submitted to DWP
  • An Inventory Report form is available as an added tool for submitting your claim to the DWP.

What do I do about property that was not included by my vehicle insurance? For example a 1-year old laptop?

  • Take photographs of the item, search online for sales of used laptops in the same model and year as support for your claim with the DWP. An Inventory Report form has been provided for your convenience.

How long do I have to pursue a claim against the DWP? 

  • You must file a claim within 6 months (by January 29, 2015) or your claim is forever barred.

What do I need to know about insurance in this case?

What do I do about a car rental? Or other personal arrangements?

  • Check with your insurance company to see if there is rental provision in your personal auto policy.  The company may pay for this rental expense.  Or make the arrangements that you need and obtain the documentation to present a claim to the DWP.  The DWP will likely pay for like kind and quality which means if you have a mid- size vehicle, it’s expected a mid-size vehicle will rented.

I needed a rental when my car was in the shop. Will my rental expenses be reimbursed?

  • According to the DWP, “Yes. Reasonable rental costs of a same or similar vehicle type will be considered while your primary vehicle is being evaluated, repaired, or declared a total loss. Note: Expenses that are normally associated with the use and operation of a vehicle, such as gasoline, insurance expenses, etc., are not reimbursed.”
  •  More information on the DWP Claims Process can be found here: https://ucla.box.com/s/43ngzgr2rc68k5fctf9xovrjjs01o6xc

My insurance carrier says that I have a deductible. Why should I have to pay for it?

  • According to the DWP, they ”will work with your insurance carrier to waive your deductible once we receive notification from them of their intention to file a claim for reimbursement.”

Do I have to pay for inspection of my vehicle?

  • For damaged vehicles, the DWP completed appraisals on each of the affected vehicles. If a policy holder reports a claim to their insurance company, the insurance company would incur these costs.

Who’s going to pay for this now?

Please note that the Office of Insurance and Risk Management (IRM) is not an insurance company and that UCLA did not cause the incident.  IRM is a resource to explain what to expect in the claims process and we are available to answer insurance related questions.  

  • If a claim is presented to your insurance company and you have Automobile Physical Damage coverage, they will pay to put you in the same position as you were in prior to the incident less your deductible.  Any out of pocket expenses such as deductibles will be pursued by your insurance company against the Department of Water and Power (DWP) and ultimately reimbursed to you.
  • If you do not have Automobile Physical Damage coverage, you may pursue a claim directly against the DWP. http://bit.ly/1kn1ZMz

My car sustained damaged during the towing process , what should I do?

  • For vehicles sustaining tow damage, IRM will process these claims with our TPA, claims can be reported to x46953 or [email protected]

What if I notice car damage later on?

  • Claims can be made with you insurance carrier for up to three years from the date of the incident (7/29/17) and with the DWP up to 01/29/15,

Is there a silver lining to all of this?

  • DWP has accepted liability.
  • They are waiving deductibles.
  • They appraised every affected vehicle.
  • They committed to paying reasonable rental car expense.
  • They have agreed to deal with the towing and salvage.


If you have any insurance related questions, please call the IRM office at (310) 794-6948

Related Information